Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Crockpot Chow Mein

Chow Mein was on the menu this evening. This is one of my favorites and since I've never made it before, I thought I'd give it a whirl. As a matter of fact, I came across the cookbook by accident. I've mentioned that I'm doing an organizational project, which I'm getting close to finishing, and this book was hidden in the middle of a ton of stuff. I'm always excited when I discover a cookbook that I haven't looked at in ages.

Chow Mein


The book this recipe comes from is "Fix-It and Forget-It Slow-Cooker Magic". I did make a few adjustments, but nothing too extreme. I wanted more vegetables than just a can of bean sprouts, so instead of those, I used 28 ounces of chop seuy vegetables. I also added an 8-ounce can of water chestnuts.

This recipe says there are 8 servings, but I beg to differ. It appears to be much more and we will be eating it for several meals.

Chow Mein

Makes 8 servings
Ideal slow cooker: 3 or 4 quart

5 boneless pork chops, trimmed of fat and cubed
1 to 1-1/2 lbs. round steak, cubed
2 Tbsp. oil
6 cups water
1 celery rib, chopped
1 medium to large onion, chopped
14.5-oz can bean sprouts, drained
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
3 Tbsp. cornstarch (optional)
1/4 cup cold water (optional)

Brown pork and steak in hot oil in nonstick skillet. Drain.

Combine all ingredients except soy sauce in slow cooker.

Cover and cook on high 3 to 4 hours.

Add soy sauce and thicken with 3 Tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup cold water, if desired.

Serve over rice or chow mein noodles.

Note: If your sodium count allows, you may want to add 1 tsp. salt when adding ingredients to slow cooker.

No comments:

09 10