Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Last Night's Dinner


Ground Beef Stroganoff was on the menu for dinner last night. While at our house in Minnesota last weekend, I picked out seven cookbooks to bring back to Wisconsin. I probably didn't need more cookbooks here, but I like to drive my husband crazy. As he constantly reminds me, I confuse "need" with "want".

As I going through the Weight Watchers 5 Ingredient 15 Minute Cookbook (ISBN 0-8487-2525-5), I came across the Ground Beef Stroganoff recipe and thought it sounded good. I've made this before but not with ground beef. We thought this was very tasty and I will definitely be making this again. The only thing that I will change is that I always use whole wheat noodles and for some reason I wasn't thinking and picked up regular ones.

Ground Beef Stroganoff

8 ounces wide egg noodles, uncooked
1 pound ground round (I used extra-lean)
3 green onions, sliced, or 1 cup chopped onion
1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
1 (12-ounce) jar fat-free beef gravy
1 (8-ounce) carton fat-free sour cream
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt (I used Mrs. Dash garlic/herb)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon dry sherry (optional)

Prepare noodles according to package directions, omitting fat and salt.

While noodles cook, cook meat, green onions, and mushrooms in a large nonstick skillet until meat is browned, stirring until it crumbles; drain. Return meat mixture to skillet; add gravy and next 3 ingredients, stirring well. Cook medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in sherry, if desired. Serve over drained noodles. Yield: 5 servings.

Points: 7
Exchanges: 3 Starch, 3 Lean Meat
Per serving:
Calories 367
Carbohydrate 42.9g
Fat 7.6g (saturated 2.4g)
Fiber 3.9g
Protein 31.1g
Cholesterol 98mg
Sodium 611mg
Calcium 93mg
Iron 4.3mg

No comments:

09 10