Thursday, August 20, 2009

Looneyspoons Cookbook

I totally forgot that I had this cookbook! Looneyspoons so fun to read.
The authors, Janet & Greta Podleski, have peppered the book with cartoon drawings by Ted Martin that just make me laugh. As I stated in an earlier post, I had picked out some cookbooks to bring back to Wisconsin when I visited our house in Minnesota. It was so hard to just pick out a few, and if I had my way I'd bring them all here. Unfortunately I don't have room where we currently live. This book is one of my favorites.

You can check out Janet & Greta's website at Eat, Shrink & Be Merry. It's too bad, but Looneyspoons is not available for purchase anymore as it is out of print. I'm sure if you are really interested in buying it, you can get your hands on a copy through Amazon.

Interestingly enough as I was perusing the book this morning I ran across a chip recipe that I will have to try. It's different than the tortilla chips recipe from Tuesday and I think they would taste fantastic with the salsa I made. Here it is if you're interested.

Chip Chip Hooray!

1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
1 egg white
4 (6-inch) whole wheat pitas
Mixed herb seasoning

Preheat oven to 350.

Whisk together olive oil and egg white in a small bowl. Set aside.

Using scissors, cut the pitas in half. Open up the pockets, and cut each half into 2 half circles. Stack half circles 2 at a time, then cut into 3 wedges. You should end up with 12 "chips" from each whole pita.

Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the inside of each pita chip with olive oil mixture. Place chips on a baking sheet, oil-side up, in a single layer. Sprinkle herb seasoning over each chip.

Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. (If you bite into a chip and it's chewy, that means they're not done yet!).

Store chips in an airtight container or plastic bag.

Makes 4 servings.

What's In It For Me?
per serving: 188 calories, 5.7 g fat, 28.4 g carbohydrate, 7 g protein, 431 mg sodium, 9 mg cholesterol, Calories from fat: 26.6%.

1 comment:

Treasures By Brenda said...

Definitely one of my favorites, it is unfortunate for others that this book is out of print. I checked around a few days ago and a couple of sellers had it priced quite high on Amazon. I checked today and there are a few copies at a more reasonable price.

My review of Looneyspoons can be read by clicking here.

I have also written a page based on the yummy 'Beyond Belief Garden Salad' from this cookbook. You can visit it by clicking here.

Brenda

09 10