Saturday, October 10, 2009

Swiss Chicken Casserole

Have I said how much I love my crock-pot? Maybe you've already figured that out. My life is just soo much easier and I couldn't live without it! I've made this dish before in the oven and it's good either way..oven or crock-pot.

When you look at the nutritional values, I know that 524 calories seems high. If you factor in that it's the main part of the meal, I don't think it's bad. You can always pair it with other light items. I also "lightened" up the recipe by using a much lower fat cheese, soup, milk, and butter. The calories for my dish are a little lower than what the recipe specifies, but I don't know exactly what they are. It also comes in at 7 Weight Watchers points.

Swiss Chicken Casserole



Swiss Chicken Casserole

6 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
6 slices (4 x 4-inch) Swiss cheese
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1/4 cup milk
2 cups herb stuffing mix
1/2 cup margarine or butter, melted

Spray crock-pot with cooking spray. Arrange chicken breasts in crock-pot. Top with cheese, layering cheese if necessary. Combine soup and milk; stir well. Spoon over cheese; sprinkle with stuffing mix. Drizzle melted margarine over stuffing mix. Cook on Low 8 to 10 hours or on High 4 to 6 hours. Serves 6.

Each Serving: Calories 524, Fat 30 gm, Sodium 1,083 mg, Protein 39 gm, Carbohydrate 23 gm, Cholesterol 96 mg

4 comments:

Katie said...

Hi! I stumbled across your blog while looking for reviews of this recipe. I'm making it right now! Glad to hear that you enjoy it! Take care!

Unknown said...

Can you substitute rice for stuffing?

Patty Albertson said...

Cindy I see no reason why you couldn't use rice. I think it would have to already be cooked and I would add it more toward the end of the cooking cycle.

Cindy said...

I have made this several times. The only difference is, I use cream of chicken soup instead of the mushroom. It is very good!

09 10