Saturday, April 14, 2012

How I Spent My Friday Evening......

I just wanted to make dinner and watch Plane Crazy on ABC's show 20/20. That's it. Since flying makes me crazy it's probably not something I should even watch. Nothing else was planned for my Friday the 13th evening. 

I decided to slice my potatoes using this bad boy. I've only done this a million times and LOVE it for slicing everything. Something went awry and I knew right away that the cut was deeper than others I've had working in the kitchen. My hand was bleeding more than usual. I ran my hand under water and yelled for my husband to get a towel. I told him we needed to go to the emergency room.

I did remember to run upstairs while applying pressure to my hand and change out of my purple plaid pajama pants. That's probably more than the emergency room can handle! Changing one handed was quite the trick.

Well, thank goodness for cell phones that take decent photos! I had my husband take pictures and the Doctor was just hilarious about it. She kept saying, "let's make this look really good"! I'm so glad she had a sense of humor. My husband and kids give me a hard time about my need to photograph everything. I just ignore them. 

When the nurse looked at the wound she thought I'd need at least 4 to 5 stitches. I wasn't happy about that at all. The Doctor was trying to get the bleeding to stop and wanted to know what medications I was on. Some make you bleed more. I'm on quite a few, so I'm sure that was part of the issue. When she told me she'd like to try glue I was pretty happy. She then ended up having to put in two stitches in the deepest part of the cut. She didn't think the glue would hold if it continued to bleed. The part of the wound that wasn't that deep can heal on its own. Needless to say, I was lucky. I'm just relieved that my husband wasn't using the mandolin. He's inept in the kitchen and he's scares me just walking through it. He can't even put a pizza in the oven without something happening. The last time he did he made quite the mess in my oven. Come to think of it, he should have to clean the oven because of that. Wait, I'm sure he'd screw that up too. 

All my pan were still on the stove this morning. They've all been coated with non-stick spray, ready and waiting. Now I'll have to clean them up tomorrow since I can't get my hand wet today. I don't even want my husband touching my pans. 

I don't believe in superstitions, so I know that while it was Friday the 13th, this could have happened on any day. One of my daughters was born on Friday the 13th so good things happen too!

I've been working on my craft room. I'll be doing a before and after blog about that in the near future. This will slow me down a bit. Not only was this my right hand (I'm right handed) but I had to get a tetanus shot in my left arm, so that's sore too. 

I will survive, just happy it wasn't as bad as it could have been!

Thanks for stopping by!


Mary said...

That had to be scary, I am a baby and they would've had to inject meds to do all that. Sorry for what you went through. My kids make fun of me for taking photos of everything too!! lol Hope your hand heals quickly. <3

Patty said...

Mary it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I didn't watch them insert the needle for numbing, but my husband said it was a long needle. I didn't even feel it. What I did feel though was the medication as it went around the cut. That was enough to make me curl my toes! It stung like crazy!

scrapfancy said...

Sounds like me. Always doing something crazy with cutting myself. Glad all is well. On friday the 13th you go girl. Stephanie

09 10