Sunday, October 3, 2010

Baked Stuffed French Toast

Baked Stuffed FrenchToast


I need to treat myself more often to a breakfast like this and step out of my mundane existence of cereal or toast! This recipe comes from a cooking magazine I picked up earlier this year. It's called Ultimate Casseroles by Better Homes and Gardens. This particular recipe is something I've wanted to make for quite awhile. There's a little preparation before hand, but it's well worth it. This was delicious! My husband probably wouldn't like this, so I'll have to eat it for a few days. Such a shame! Some of the casserole recipes in this magazine sound absolutely delicious.

I replaced the cream cheese with Neufandal cheese and I used Almond milk in place of regular milk. I also added some maple extract to the cream cheese filling recipe.

Baked Stuffed French Toast

8 3/4-inch slices French Bread
Cream Cheese Filling (recipe with ingredients below)
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1 cup orange juice
Maple syrup and/or fruit (optional)

Place half of the bread slices in a 3-quart baking dish. Spread with Cream Cheese Filling. Top with the remaining bread slices.

In a medium bowl, combine eggs, milk and orange juice. Pour egg mixture evenly over bread stacks, covering all of the tops. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.

Preheat oven to 375. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with parchment paper or nonstick foil. Arrange bread stacks in the prepared baking pan. Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden, turning once. If desired, serve with syrup and/or fruit. Makes 4 servings.

Cream Cheese Filling: In a medium bowl, combine one 8-ounce package cream cheese, 1/3cup snipped dried apricots or golden raisins, and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.

Have a fantastic day!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Oh my goodness how do you eat this and stay so thin. It looks wonderful.

09 10