Sunday, January 10, 2010

Fire Hazard No More

My husband has been complaining for quite a while that my scrapbook room has become a fire hazard. I agree, but not quite to the extreme that he thought! I just had so much stuff in a small space and it wasn't organized very well. When we moved here, everything just got shoved in the room and I had no idea what was in each container. It was also very cramped with barely any room to move. For the past two weeks or so I have been doing nothing but sorting through everything. I've given away stuff I know I will never use and items that are no longer needed have been tossed. My husband also agreed to move a desk out of the room. That was a major feat in itself!

For my organizing project, I just used baskets and containers that I already had. I really didn't have to go out and buy anything. Before we moved here, I bought cubicles, drawers and a cupboard that my husband put together for me.

100_1772


This shows my work area, which is way more functional than what I had before. I keep the paper that I use the most under the table in Crop In Style Paper Takers categorized by color and the patterned paper by manufacturer. In order to control my scraps, I'm only going to keep them if they are big enough to use. No more saving tiny little pieces!

100_1777


This shows the wall where the cubicles are set up. I have labeled all my containers so I know what's in them. In the cupboard I store wooden stamps, clear stamps and other products that are within easy reach. The drawers hold punches and inks. I also keep a basket of clear stamps in one of the cubicles along with my scrub pad and cleaner.


100_1778


This side holds scrapbook items along with other items.

100_1774


I bought this ribbon storage rack from a vendor at the Saynor Stampede. The boxes on top had been used before. I also have many loose pieces of one yard ribbon. Not wanting to hang them all, I wrapped them around pieces of cardboard and store them in a basket on the table.


100_1775


I really like this Clip It Up by Simply Renee. It holds a lot of products within easy reach.

100_1779


Buttons are one of my favorite embellishments! I've sorted them by color and store them in 4-ounce jars.

100_1781

I'm also fortunate enough to have a closet in this room for additional storage. Inside, I have a table that fit my paper trays and a cabinet that holds all my Sizzix dies. This works great for storage of everything I don't use on an everyday basis.

It's nice to start the new year off with a clean slate. This project was long overdue and alot of work, but it was well worth it.



Now I'm off to do a few other organizing projects that have been bugging me for months....

3 comments:

Jennifer Davis said...

Holy smokin' Jo! You have an awesome place to create Patty! I don't believe that it was ever messy now after seeing this! =) Fun post!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

Lookin good. thanks for stopping by.

Karen Howard said...

I love your craft space! Great job organizing! I bet it feels great to have it all done!

09 10