Friday, August 7, 2009

Recipe Of The Day - Green Olive Hummus Wraps

I ran across this recipe and it sounds intriguing to me for some reason. There's no meat in it and I'm not a vegetarian by any means. I do like to have some meals with other types of protein every now and then. I don't eat near the beef and pork that I used to, I mostly stick to chicken, turkey and fish. This recipe sounds like it would be easy for either lunch or dinner. I like to know what the nutritional value of recipes is and find that quite a few don't provide that information. I do have a software program that is several years old that I sometimes enter recipes into for that information. I would like it if all restaurants had the nutritional values and am happy that they may be forced to do so soon. If and when I make this recipe I will post a picture.

This recipe comes from the book "Delicious Wraps" from Parragon Books Ltd, ISBN 978-1-4054-9561-5.

Makes 4

4 - 10-inch wraps
4 cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cucumber, seeded and quartered
2 oz baby spinach leaves

For the hummus
7 oz canned chickpeas, drained
1 garlic clove, crushed
4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp tahini
1 tsp lemon juice
2 oz pitted green olives, chopped
a small bunch of flat-leaf parsley, shredded
salt and pepper

To make the humus place the chickpeas, garlic, olive oil, tahini and lemon juice in a food processor and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste, transfer to a bowl and mix in the olives and parsley.

Preheat a nonstick skillet or broiler pan until almost smoking, add the wraps, 1 at a time, and cook for 10 seconds on each side. This will add some color and soften the wraps.

Spread some hummus over each wrap and divide the tomatoes, cucumber and spinach among them, placing some in the center of each wrap. Fold in the wraps at the ends, roll up, cut in half diagonally and serve.

No comments:

09 10