Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Yorktown Sights & Shops

We had originally planned on combining Yorktown with a tour of James River Plantations, but Yorktown was so beautiful we stayed the day. Time has gone so quickly and we'll never be able to see and do all the things that we had hoped to on this trip. Tomorrow we'll shoot for the James River Plantations again!


At Yorktown, combined American and French forces laid siege to the British army. The cannon battery shown above were part of the American fortifications.

Revolutionary War soldiers pose for us at their encampment in Yorktown.

On October 18th, 1781 officers from both sides met at this house to negotiate the surrender of 8,000 British soldiers to George Washington. This was the last major battle of the American Revolution, and secured independence for the United States.


I like history, but I LOVE American Express!! This afternoon we spent time in many of the very cool shops in the area. Below are my finds.

I found some exciting paper at a scrapbook store in Yorktown. Plus I am always out of red buttons and have a hard time finding them. I hit the jackpot and found tons. Even though this was a nice store, I am biased toward Paper Studio for a broader range of products. Pictured are papers from Reminisce, Bo-Bunny, My Mind's Eye and Graphic 45.

Adding to my extensive collection of cookbooks from all over the United States (that my husband says I never use), here are my latest purchases from Virginia. Soon I'll need a new wing on my home just for cookbooks. Steve says my goal should be making a new recipe every week from my collection. I'll never live long enough!

Last but not least, I found this sweatshirt jacket at an incredible store called Stars & Stripes Forever on the waterfront in Yorktown. It's not black, but red is the next best color. The phrase has "Pattitude"!








No comments:

09 10