Saturday, May 12, 2012

Kentucky Road Trip


My youngest daughter Hannah and I, just got back from a road trip to Kentucky to visit relatives. I also visited some friends I haven't seen in many years. I lived there from 1975 to 1980, but this is only the third time I've been back. The first time was in 2007. Both my daughters and my brother went that time and we were searching  for family history. The second time was in 2009 when my husband and I stopped over for the night on our way to Virginia. This time it was a more leisurely visit where we didn't have to rush.


Here's a photo of us on our first day there. We went to see the murals they have painted on the floodwall in Catlettsburg, KY. I only took the one photo below because I had taken photos of them when I was there in 2007.





On the way down we had a torrential downpour in Indianapolis that slowed us down. At first it was just raining.


Then we were probably driving about 20 miles per hour! I thought we were going to have to pull off to the side of the road.


One of the highlights for me was to check out the Hobby Lobby store. I had to go back twice. I fell in love with that store! It's very similar to a Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft or a Michaels Arts and Crafts store. We are getting one (finally!) in the area where I live. When I say that I mean....70 miles away! I picked up some paper pads and other items to use for various projects. If I hadn't put everything away already, I would have taken a photo.

I also found another local scrapbook store that was FANTASTIC! It's called The Scrapbook General Store in Flatwoods, KY. I'd direct you to their site, but it's not currently working. You can check out their Facebook page here. This store was the best local scrapbook store I've ever seen. The owner Winnie Thacker stocks product I've never seen before. When I travel I like checking out the local small scrapbook stores. They always carry items that the big box stores don't. Winnie had the largest selection of Graphic 45 products I've ever seen. I spent two hours there looking and talking with the owner. I would have stayed longer and I would have gone back, but I think my daughter would have disowned me.

I had so much fun looking through all the beautiful projects that were on display from previous classes. I've never seen anything like it. The detail in the books and other items she creates was unbelievable. I picked up one item that was very familiar to me. Winnie asked me if I knew who made it, but I couldn't think of the designer off the top of my head. She told me to check out the bottom and when I saw who signed it I knew - it was a Laura Denison design! While at CHA (Craft & Hobby Association) she asked Laura if she could have it and she gave it to her. It was a bag of tags using the Little Darlings collection. Here's a link to a similar project using one of Graphic 45's Christmas lines. Winnie wanted me to come back and make a book. The next time I visit that's exactly what I'm going to do!

I always use my camera while on vacation. I received an iPhone for Christmas and although I took my camera, I just used my phone this time. Below are some more photos I took with it.


The second evening we were there we went out for dinner with my cousin John (R). His brother Neal joined us a little later.


We met Carla for lunch. I haven't seen Carla since 1980! She was my supervisor at the very first radio job I ever had. It was so nice to see her. We then went to her house and saw the awesome pool she has put in her backyard. She's got a lovely area for relaxing. I'm so happy we got to visit.


We went to a Flea Market in Milton, WVA with my Aunt Wanda. We had gone there in 2007, so I made sure we went back again this trip. This was taken after we had lunch at Cracker Barrel. I don't know if it's just me, but the food seems so heavy there. Good, but heavy!


Here's one with all three of us (Wanda, Hannah & Me).


My dear friend Becky. We hadn't seen each other in over 30 years! We met in 1975 when we worked together at a nursing home. Both of us wanted to go into nursing. Becky did and retired in 2010 after a nursing career of about 31 years. I didn't go into nursing which is one of my biggest regrets because that's the only thing I ever wanted to do. I went to school for Medical Secretarial and never worked in that field.

I'm just so glad we were able to get together, but our visit wasn't long enough. The next time I'm in KY we are going to spend more time visiting. Thank goodness it's so much easier to stay in touch in this day and age.

Below are my Flea Market finds. I'm very pleased with my purchases!


I was in shock when I came across this gem! You don't know how long I've been searching for a window that's in good condition, but looks worn. I've come across a few in the area I live in but they've been priced at more than I want to spend. This one was six bucks! I thought that was a steal. This was a small one. The large ones were ten dollars. I'm still on the lookout for an even smaller one.


I kept coming across these ladders at every booth I stopped at. I couldn't resist them at a price of six bucks each! I have some ideas of what I want to do with them. I'll be sure to post photos once I've figured it out.


Who can resist a bargain, especially when it's free? At one booth we went to the woman said I could take as many books as I wanted. She had bought the booth space from a previous book owner and they were going to donate all the books to the Goodwill. These are just what I've been looking for. I'm going to use them for altered books.

Well, that's it for this trip. I've a long list of projects I'm behind on. I had to stop working on my craft room organizing and a custom card order I've been working on. This next week doesn't look too promising for organizing, but I hope to finish the card order. I've got quite a few that I've finished that I'll be sharing once I get them all photographed. I also have another baby boy mini album I've made to share.

It's going to be a little quiet around here now. After spending about 13 days with my daughter we took her to the airport this afternoon. She's headed back to Minnesota and then to Las Vegas with a few friends.  Then shes off to New York for a few days before she heads to South Africa for two weeks and then onto Australia where she may or may not stay for up to a year. I don't think I could travel that much.

I'm anxiously awaiting my next road trip! Thanks for stopping by!




No comments:

09 10