- I'm always looking for new, interesting ideas for dinner. When I saw this recipe I ran it by my husband. We both thought it sounded good.
- Sometimes I feel like I'm in a rut and I make the same thing over and over. I've been scouring my magazines, cookbooks and online (Pinterest, of course!) for some exciting new recipes. I repinned this from a woman I follow. Here's her board if you'd like to check it out.
We always have leftovers. I'm lucky that my husband doesn't mind them. I'm keeping this one on my rotating menu because we thought it was delicious!
- I did worry that it might be too spicy with the green chiles for my husband. Obviously it wasn't because he wants it again. He has no tolerance for spicy or hot foods. I, on the other hand LOVE them!
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
- (adapted from My Recipes)
1 cup fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
2 (4.5-ounce) cans chopped green chiles, divided
1-3/4 lbs skinned, boned chicken breasts
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup evaporated skim milk
1 cup (4-ounces) shredded Monterey cheese (I used a Fiesta Blend)
1/4 cup (2-ounces) tub-style light cream cheese
1 (10-ounce) can enchilada sauce
12 6-inch corn tortillas
1/2 cup (2-ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese (I used a Fiesta Blend)
1 ounce tortilla chips, crushed (about 6 chips)
- Combine broth and 1 can of chiles in a large skillet; bring to a boil. Add chicken; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is done, turning chicken once. Remove chicken from cooking liquid, reserving cooking liquid; cool chicken. Shred meat with two forks, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 can of chiles and onion; sauté 3 minutes or until soft. Add reserved cooking liquid, milk, Monterey Jack, cream cheese, and enchilada sauce; stir well. Stir in shredded chicken; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place 4 tortillas in the bottom of a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Spoon 2 cups chicken mixture over tortillas. Repeat layers twice, ending with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and chips. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings: (serving size: 1 cup).
This post is linked to these parties: Made From Scratch Tuesday, Tuesday's Tasty Tidbits, Whatever Goes Wednesday, What I Whipped Up Wednesday, These Chicks Cooked, Inspiring Creativity
Have a great day!
Have a great day!