Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Lighten Up: Slim-and-Trim Potato Salad

I thought we'd try a recipe for a lightened up version of potato salad that only has 131 calories per 1/2 cup serving. When I grilled steaks the other day I threw some chicken on with them to save myself some time. Since the main part of my dinner was done, I thought I'd add something easy to go with it.

I've never really been a fan of salads made with the tangy taste of miracle whip. I can handle the taste of mayonnaise much better. One of the local supermarkets sells a chipotle potato salad that's delicious and has become a favorite of mine. I think my husband actually prefers the tangier kind, but since I'm the cook and the cook wears the pants, he got something a little healthier with his chicken.


This stuff was so flippin' good, I think it's turned me into a potato salad lover!

Slim-and-Trim Potato Salad


This recipe comes from the Fitness Magazine site.

Healthy Potato Salad Recipe
Makes: 6 servings

4 medium potatoes (about 1 1/3 pounds)
2/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
1/2 green sweet pepper, chopped (1/3 cup)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 hard-cooked egg, coarsely chopped

1. Wash potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes, leaving skin on. In a covered saucepan, boil potatoes in enough water to cover for 20 to 25 minutes or until just tender. Drain well.

2. In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, celery, green pepper, onion, mustard, vinegar, salt, and black pepper.

3. Add potatoes and egg to mayonnaise mixture. Toss lightly to mix. Cover and chill in the fridge at least 6 hours (or up to 24).

Nutrition facts (per 1/2-cup serving): 131 calories, 3g protein, 25g carbohydrate, 3g fat (0g saturated), 2g fiber

No comments:

09 10