Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Farmer's Casserole

We had breakfast for dinner again the other night! This time I made a Farmer's Casserole from my "Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook" that I've been eyeing for awhile. I know that Steve isn't as excited as I am about having something "different" for dinner, so I always approach it as something new that we should try. I always to tell him that it's okay to have breakfast for dinner. He has to agree with me because he can't cook so he basically he has no choice. My hubby always says "Patty always gets what she wants". And to that I say "Damn right!"

Farmer's Casserole


When this was baking, the aroma drove me crazy because it smelled so good! The only change I made was to use turkey sausage instead of ham or Canadian-style bacon. I also used Almond Milk and Mozzarella Cheese. One thing I will do differently next time is to decrease the amount of milk in the recipe. It called for 1-1/2 cups and I think you could easily get by with a cup or less.

Farmer's Casserole

Nonstick cooking spray
3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers or shredded Cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
1 cup diced cooked ham or Canadian-style bacon
1/4 cup sliced green onions (2)
4 beaten eggs or 1 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
1-1/2 cups milk or one 12-ounce can evaporated milk or evaporated fat-free mile
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 black pepper

Coat a 2-quart square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange potatoes evenly in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with cheese, ham, and green onions.

In a bowl combine eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour egg mixture over potato mixture.

Bake, uncovered, in a 350 oven 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serves 6.

For 12 servings, prepare as above, except double all ingredients and us a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Bake, uncovered, for 45 to 55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serves 12.

1 comment:

Deborah March said...

Oooohhh, sounds so YUMMY!!Ummmm, but use Canadian bacon...nothin' like it!!(lol)

09 10