Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Recipe Of The Day - Steak Lo Mein

Steak Lo Mein


I've been looking through some cookbooks this morning trying to find dinner ideas for the next couple of days. I get so bored sometimes with what we eat and usually fall back into the same pattern of eating the same thing. Tonight if all goes well with my day I plan to make Chicken Cacciatore. If it happens I will post a picture tomorrow. This morning I found this recipe, Steak Lo Mein, in a book I love called "Best of the Best from Colorado Cookbook" from Quail Ridge Press, ISBN 0-937552-85-4. It sounds so easy and has alot of vegetables in it so I would think it could be pretty healthy. The few changes I would make are using whole wheat spaghetti and using reduced sodium soy sauce and probably using less. I won't use a wok either, since I have no idea where mine is! This might be a dinner later this week and if so I will post a picture.

1 pound round steak, trimmed
1 teaspoon beef bouillon
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups cabbage, shredded
1 cup carrots, sliced and partially cooked
1 medium onion, sliced into rings
1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup celery, sliced
1/3 cup green onions, sliced
1 package frozen snow peas
1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
4 ounces thin spaghetti, cooked and drained

Cut partially frozen steak into diagonal across grain 1/4-inch strips. Combine bouillon, water, soy sauce and cornstarch; set aside. In a wok or large skillet heat oil on medium-high. Add meat and garlic; stir-fry until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Remove meat to platter. Add cabbage, carrots, onion, mushrooms, celery and green onions; stir-fry for about 3 minutes. Add pea pods and water chestnuts; stir-fry about 5 minutes. Add meat. Stir in bouillon mixture and add to wok. Stir and cook until thickened. Gently toss in spaghetti and heat through. Makes 6 servings.
- Grade A Recipes

No comments:

09 10