Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Three-Bean Turkey Chili

Three-Bean Turkey Chili
I'm trying a new chili recipe. Whenever I made chili I always used ground beef. I'd say about 14 years ago I first made it with ground turkey. I was hooked! I always use the same recipe, so I thought a change was in order.

This recipe came in an email I received from Kraft. When I saw "three-bean" I was a little leery. I don't really care for beans and never eat them unless they are in chili. The only other kind I eat are green beans. That's it. I've always been picky about food. That's probably why I have one daughter that's like that. I think she's much better now that she's older.

I only use light red kidney beans in my chili. When I make chicken chili I use the great Northern beans. I think I've had black beans before, but I'm not sure. I'm living on the edge here in Wisconsin this week.  The original recipe called for only 1/2 pound of ground turkey. I knew that wasn't going to cut it with my husband so I added a pound to the recipe. He's not the biggest fan of chili to begin with. 
Three-Bean Turkey Chili
We loved this chili! It has a wonderful flavor. It's also has a nice thick consistency. This just might be the way I make chili from now on. My husband even said he could eat this again! That was music to my ears because now I'll make it more often. As a matter of fact he will be having leftovers because we have plenty left for another meal.

The only changes I made were to use shredded Mozzarella in place of  Cheddar cheese. I used regular saltine crackers instead of Ritz crackers.

Three-Bean Turkey Chili
adapted from Kraft Recipes
makes 8 servings - 1-1/4 cups each serving

1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 jar (16 oz.) Thick 'N Chunky Salsa
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed
1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed
1 can (15 oz.) great Northern beans, rinsed
1 tsp.chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 pkg. (7 oz.) KRAFT 2% Milk Shredded Cheddar Cheese
40 RITZ Crackers

COOK turkey in large saucepan on medium-high heat 10 min. or until no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
ADD to slow cooker with all remaining ingredients except cheese and crackers; stir.
COVER with lid. Cook on HIGH 3 to 4 hours (or on LOW 5 to 6 hours).
SPOON into soup bowls; top with cheese. Serve with crackers.

This post is linked to these parties:
Tuesday Confessional
Menu Mondays
Melt In Your Mouth Monday
A Marvelous Mess
Made By You Monday
Tasty Tuesdays

1 comment:

Stacy @ Faith and Family said...

Thanks for linking up to last weeks Menu Monday! I'd like to invite you back to share some more recipes in this weeks recipe link up: http://myfaithandfamily.wordpress.com/2011/10/10/menu-mondays-blueberry-and-cream-sweet-rolls/

09 10