Friday, October 14, 2011

Crockpot Pepper Steak

Pepper Steak
I made the easiest dinner ever today! I found a recipe in an old "Prevention Guide" magazine called "Slow Cooker Recipes" from 2006. If I'm not scrapbooking, I'm reading recipes online or poring through anything cooking related. I scatter the books and magazines throughout the house. When the mess is more than I can handle I round them up, put them away, and start over again. My husband's a neat freak, so it totally drives him nuts! Not the cooking, but the mess.

This was so delicious! The only change I made was to use light soy sauce that was 50% sodium reduced. I also used canned diced tomatoes.  I served mine over Jasmine rice and I absolutely love the fragrance. If you've had Jasmine rice before, you know what I mean!

Pepper Steak
Makes 8 servings

1-1/2 - 2 lb beef round steak, trimmed of fat, cut in 3" x 1" strips
2 Tbsp canola oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup chopped onions
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 large green bell peppers, cut in strips
4 medium tomatoes, cut in eighths, or 1 16-oz can diced tomatoes with juice
1/2 cup cold water
1 Tbsp cornstarch

Brown beef in oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Transfer to 4-quart or larger slow cooker.

In small bowl, combine soy sauce, onions, garlic, sugar, black pepper and ginger. Pour over meat. Cover and cook on low 5 to 6 hours.

Add bell peppers and tomatoes (with juice). cover and cook 1 hour longer.

Combine water and cornstarch in small bowl to make paste. Stir into slow cooker. Cook on high until thickened, about 10 minutes.

Per serving: 290 calories, 28 g protein, 13 g carbohydrate, 14 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 45 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 740 mg sodium - made as the recipe suggests.

This post is linked to these parties: Cast Party Wednesday, Whisking Wednesdays, Full Plate Thursday, Turning The Table Thursday, Chic & Crafty, Friday Potluck, Foodie Friday

Be sure to take some time to check out all the blogs listed above. I'm sure you'll find many recipes and crafts that you'll enjoy!

2 comments:

Miz Helen said...

Hi Patty,
Your Crockpot Pepper Steak looks so good, I wish that plate was sitting in front of me right now. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have had a great week end and come back soon!
Miz Helen

Unknown said...

Thanks for linking up on Whisking Wednesday last week. Man does this look gooood! Hope you'll pop back over this week and link up another few recipes!

http://pinchofthisthatandtheother.blogspot.com/2011/10/whisking-wednesdays-22.html

09 10