Saturday, January 29, 2011

Bobby's Lighter Pumpkin Crunch

Bobby's Lighter Pumpkin Crunch
Oh my gosh! This stuff is fantastic! Whenever it's available at a local deli I always make sure to pick some up. I've wanted to make it myself, but haven't been able to find a recipe for it in any of my cookbooks. I subscribe to Paula Deen's newsletter and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it in there the other day! I love it when her son Bobby's lighter versions are included.

I took all the nutritional info and plugged it into my Weight Watchers calculator and came up with 7 PointsPlus per serving. No problem, I thought. Well, when I went to pick up the few ingredients I needed, I couldn't find a sugar-free yellow cake mix anywhere. I reluctantly bought a regular yellow cake mix thinking that the points value would go up. I was wrong. I plugged all the information in the the recipe builder on the Weight Watchers site and the recipe still came in at 7 PointsPlus per serving. I was pretty happy with that!

Bobby's Lighter Pumpkin Crunch*
By Bobby Dean

461 Fewer Calories
47g Less Fat

1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 (12-ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 egg whites
1 large egg
1 (16-ounce) package sugar-free yellow cake mix
1/2 cup chopped pecans
4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9X13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.

Whisk the pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl until well mixed. Add the egg whites and egg, whisking until well blended.

Scrape the batter into the baking dish. Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over the batter to cover completely. Scatter the nuts and butter pieces over top.

Bake, uncovered until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

16 Servings
Per Serving: (1/16 of cake) 252 Cal; 5g Protein; 8g Total Fat; 3g Sat Fat; 3g Mono Fat; 42g Carb; 2g Fiber; 13g Sugar; 125mg Calcium; 1mg Iron; 257mg Sodium; 22mg Cholesterol

*Recipe from the Paula Deen Newsletter.

I was invited to link this recipe to Sweets for a Saturday #2! Check out Lisa's blog:


4 comments:

Lisa said...

I love pumpkin anything and I especially like it when I find a great dessert that's lower in calories. This sounds fantastic. I have a linky party on my blog right now called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up.

Patty Albertson said...

Thanks for the invite Lisa! I linked up :) LOVE your blog!!

Diana said...

OK, I'll be right over for some of that pumpkin crunch. Looks delicious! Love your banner and blog background. Looks Fabulous! Thanks for visiting me!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really sounds delicious. I'm new to your blog and have been spending time browsing through your earlier entries. I've really enjoyed my visit and I'll be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

09 10