Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Spicy Carrot Bars (or Cupcakes In My Case)

Spicy Carrot Bars (Cupcakes)


When I saw these bars in a copy of a 1998 Gold Medal recipe booklet called "Cookies From The Heart" I wanted to make them! I love carrot cake, but I think what sold me was the cute carrot icing decoration on each of them. Instead of making bars, I made cupcakes. Since I can't possibly eat them all, I saved one for myself and sent the rest to work with the hubby.

Spicy Carrot Bars

1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup margaine or butter, softened
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup golden raisins
Cream Cheese Frosting (below)
Orange and green decorating icing in tubes, if desired

Heat oven to 350. Grease rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches. Mix brown sugar, margarine, milk, eggs and vanilla in large bowl. Stir in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Stir in carrots and raisins. Spread in pan.

Bake 28 to 33 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.

Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting. Cut into 2x1-1/2-inch bars. Pipe orange and green icing in carrot shape on each bar. Refrigerate any remaining bars. Makes 32 bars.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar

Mix cream cheese, margarine and vanilla in medium bowl. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until smooth and spreadable.

1 Bar:160 calories (55 calories from fat); 6 g fat (2 g saturated); 15 mg cholesterol; 160 mg sodium; 26 g carbohydrate (1 g dietary fiber); 2 g protein.

1 comment:

Vicky said...

These cupcakes are just so adorable!

09 10