Friday, June 4, 2010

Tortellini-Asparagus Salad

Steve loves any dish made with tortellini. I was paging through an old Better Homes and Garden Cookbook and came across this recipe and decided to try it. Actually, truth be told, I took this book on vacation with me. Yes, I take them with me wherever I go! Besides Biographies and True Crime it's the only thing I read. The fact that my books are strung from one end of the house to the other drives the hubby crazy I'm sure. But...since he doesn't cook, he needs to put up with my addiction or he will starve!

Tortellin-Asparagas Salad Collage


Preparation

Ready For Cooling


Ready for cooling

Finished Product



Finished product!


I did substitute grated Parmesan for the shredded. We absolutely loved this salad!

Tortellini-Asparagus Salad

Prep: 25 minutes Chill: 2 to 8 hours
Makes: 10 side-dish servings

2 9-ounce packages refrigerated cheese-filled tortellini
1 pound fresh asparagus spears (about 16 spears), trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large yellow sweet pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil or salad oil
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup sliced green onions (4)
1/4 cup pine nuts or chopped almonds, toasted

In a 4-quart Dutch oven cook tortellini according to package directions, adding asparagus and sweet pepper the last minute of cooking; drain. Rinse tortellini and vegetables with cold water; drain again.

For dressing, in a screw-top jar combine lemon peel, lemon juice, oil, mustard, sugar, salt, and garlic. Cover and shake well.

In a very large bowl place tortellini and vegetables. Add dressing; toss to coat. Cover and chill for 2 to 8 hours. Just before serving, stir in cheese, green onions, and nuts. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Nutrition Facts per serving: 263 cal., 12 g total fat (3g sat. fat), 30 mg chol., 329 mg sodium, 29 g carbo., 3 g fiber, 11 g pro.
Exchanges: 1 Vegetable, 1-1/2 Starch, 1/2 Lean Meat, 2 Fat

No comments:

09 10