Monday, February 3, 2014

Beef and Bean Taco Casserole


I made this casserole tonight and it's delicious! I'll have plenty of leftovers for lunch and dinner. I found it on Pinterest on the Betty Crocker board. It didn't call for cilantro or sour cream but I felt it needed both.

Last week I didn't go to the grocery store and pretty much lived on what I had in my cupboards and freezer. At least I had fish, soup and enough other items to make some meals. The cold weather is just killing me and the thought of going through all the work of shopping really didn't sound like much fun.

Making meals for one is hard. I get sick of eating the same thing over and over. I sat down and took the time to find a few casseroles to try. I also wanted to make some things that I wouldn't mind talking for lunch. Figuring out what to take for my lunch on the days I work is torture for me. I can't live on peanut butter sandwiches, veggies and hummus for lunch every day. Last week when I was out of those items I took soup and found that I like having something hot.


I've never been a big fan of refried beans. I went out of my comfort zone since they are in this casserole. I found that they aren't as bad as I thought. I'd definitely make this dish again!

Beef and Bean Taco Casserole
Betty Crocker

1 lb (at least 80%) ground beef, lean (I used 93%)
1/2 lb green bell pepper, chopped (3/4 cup), medium
4 green onions, sliced (1/4 cups)
1 cup lettuce
2 tomatoes, chopped (1-1/2 cups) medium
1 can refried beans
1 jar thick 'n chunky salsa
1 package 40% less-sodium taco seasoning mix
2-1/2 cups tortilla chips
1 cup cheddar or monterey jack cheese (I used mozzarella)

Heat oven to 350. In 12-inch skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in refried beans, salsa and taco seasoning mix. Reduce heat to medium. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally.

In ungreased 2-quart casserole, place 2 cups of the broken tortilla chips. Top evenly with beef mixture. Sprinkle with bell pepper, onions, 1 cup of the tomato, the cheese and olives.

Bake uncovered 20 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted. Top baked casserole with lettuce, remaining 1/2 cup tomato and remaining 1/2 cup tortilla chips.

This post is linked to these parties: Marvelously Messy,  Made by You Monday,  A Round Tuit, Craft-O-Maniac Monday

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

09 10