Thursday, January 14, 2010

Beef with Apples and Sweet Potatoes

The other day I was flipping through my 'Rival Crock-Pot Simple 1-2-3 Slow Cooker Recipes' Cookbook, looking for ideas for dinner. I came across one for beef with apples and sweet potatoes which made my husband's ears perk up. He loves sweet potatoes and I don't care for them. That may seem a little strange, because I've never even tasted one! They just don't look good to me. It's just like the pumpkin pie thing...I like pumpkin, but I've never had pie because it just doesn't look appealing. Anyway, being the nice wife (?) that I am, I made this for dinner tonight. He'll be having it for a few nights, since I'll have something else. Makes my life easier though!

Beef with Sweet Potatoes and Apples


Beef with Apples and Sweet Potatoes

1 boneless beef chuck shoulder roast (2 pounds)
1 can (40 ounces) sweet potatoes, drained
2 small onions, sliced
2 apples, cored and sliced
1/2 cup beef broth
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons cold water

Trim excess fat from beef and discard. Cut beef in 2-inch pieces. Place beef, sweet potatoes, onions, apples, broth, garlic, salt, 1/2 teaspoon thyme and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in slow cooker. Cover, cook on LOW 8 to 9 hours.

Transfer beef, sweet potatoes and apples to platter; cover with foil to keep warm. Let cooking liquid stand 5 minutes to allow fat to rise. Skim off fat and discard.

Stir together cornstarch, remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, cinnamon and water until smooth; stir in cooking liquid. Cook 15 minutes on HIGH or until cooking liquid is thickened. Serve sauce with beef, sweet potatoes and apples.

No comments:

09 10