Thursday, July 30, 2009

Recipe Of The Day - Apple Caramel Muffins

I've had some requests to post more recipes. Anyone that knows me knows that I have probably more cookbooks than one person needs in a lifetime. I just love to read them! They are one of my addictions and I buy them everywhere I go. I thought what I would do is post one recipe a day from a book and or cooking magazine in my collection. I'll include the name of the book/magazine, author and ISBN number, if available. There won't always be a picture of the recipe unless I've made it. When I moved to Minocqua last October I was only able to bring a few books from my vast collection. The bulk of my cookbooks are still in our house in Minnesota and I can't wait to have them here. Today's recipe is from the cookbook "Mad about Muffins" by Dot Vartan, ISBN 0-8362-6994-2.

Apple Caramel Muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons corn oil
1 cup peeled and diced apples

Topping
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Directions:

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Sift the dry ingredients together into a large bowl. Add the eggs, milk, and corn oil. Stir just enough to mix the ingredients. Carefully fold in the diced apples. Fill greased muffin tins.
To make the topping, melt the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan. Stir in the milk and confectioners' sugar until the mixture is smooth. Add the vanilla extract and nuts. Spoon over the top of the muffins. Bake for 25 minutes. Makes on dozen muffins.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yum, yum, yummy! I'll have to try these! anne

09 10